Sunday, July 17, 2011

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

This recipe comes from a In the Kitchen with Aimee from http://www.aimeesadventures.com/, although the last time I tried to gain access to her website it indicated it was no longer available.  Boy I am so glad that I actually ordered her 2 cookbooks a few years ago.  Many of my go to recipes are located on that site (or in the cookbook). 

1 (28oz) Can peeled tomatoes
1 (18oz) can peeled diced tomatoes
1 (15oz) can tomato puree
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
4 cloves of garlic
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
5-12 packets splenda (optional)

Mix all ingredients together into a crockpot and cook on low for at least 8 hours.  Serves 17 1/2 cups each.  I typically add about 1 pound of browned ground turkey, ground beef, or sometime Italian sausage.  This makes quite a bit so I often make this on a week where I want to flip the sauce into something else like cheese pizza, calzones, bubble up pizza casserole, or baked spaghetti.  The sauce also freezes pretty well so I could encourage you to make a batch, eat it for a meal and freeze part for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment