Monday, July 11, 2011

7-layer salad

Most of us have had this at a gathering or two, I have eaten it but never made it until recently.  For the most part, all the ingredients were readily available to me in my home...I had some lettuce that looked slightly droopy in a few places and as we are really working to "tighten our belts" I was not about to throw it away.  When I made this I expected my kids to LOVE it and my husband to HATE it, boy was I wrong.  My father in law was also over and he seemed to enjoy it.  See the kids are salad people, I mean what 6 year old cheers when salad is his plate?  The kids didn't like it and Scott loved it...he ate seconds...of SALAD...I know it was shocking.  I was going to add onions but I knew that everyone would turn away.  A recipe that I consulted suggested using celery but I didn't have any. I also made a few other adaptations. 



1 head lettuce
1 package thawed pea & carrots
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
1 small package of bacon bits
1 cup of mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cut lettuce into shreds.  Layer the lettuce, peas & carrots, eggs and bacon bits in a large pan.  Mix the mayo and sugar, layer on top of the lettuce mixture.  Sprinkle cheese on the top of the salad.  It was suggested that this be refrigerated for at least 24 hours prior to sering, I made it about 4 hours before serving and it was good.  It was still good the next day.  Serve to your family or bring to a pot luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment