Monday, July 11, 2011

Sausage Egg Bake for a crowd

It was my amazing hubby's birthday, since his work schedule is so nuts and he works 2nd shift we invited his family over for a brunch before he had to head to work.  Unfortunately, 2 days before this even a co-worker's husband passed away and the wake happens to be at the same time as our scheduled brunch.  Even though I wanted to, I didn't cancel instead I developed a new plan.  For my original plan I was going to make a casserole using crescents but it had to be prepared the day of...because of the predicament I was in that wasn't going to work for me.  Because it's always important to have a Plan B, I went for it.  Actually, plan B included stale bread, which I didn't have.  So what else would one do, but head to Plan C and Plan C was OK.  Like I said I didn't have any bread, although this isn't the 1920's and I could have gone to the store to pick some up I was not interested in running to the store with 4 kids.  I know I only have 2 but I was helping a friend by watching her children overnight.  Honestly, they are not any more work it's just the extra bodies and my kids are really what made me want to stay home, plus it was hot and sticky out.  So I made my own bread using my amazing bread machine, which didn't cause any additional heat in the kitchen.  Once the bread was prepared the recipe came together pretty quickly.

1 pound breakfast sausage
18 eggs (although I'm pretty sure I used WAY too many)
3 cups of milk
1 best bread machine bread or a loaf of crusty bread
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the sausage.  While sausage is browning, cut bread into 2 inch pieces and place in a large pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  Mine is larger than a 9 x 13.  I don't know the dimensions but it's pretty darn big.  Place the cooled sausage on top of the bread.  In a separate bowl, crack the eggs, break the yolks and gently whisk them with the milk.  Pour egg mixture on top of the bread and sausage. Cover and place in the fridge for 8-12 hours to soak.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, bake for about 45-60 minutes until it's golden brown.  I used this to serve 6 adults and 4 children and there was plenty left.  It could've easily served 12 adults plus children, as long as I had other items to go along with this brunch.  It worked out perfect because my husband loves breakfast bakes and has been eating the leftovers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner the past 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment