Sunday, July 3, 2011

Berry Syrup

Every summer mid to late June, we go strawberry picking.  Most years I make freezer jam, however, this year I am not going to since I still have some left from making 4 batches last year.  This year, my son also decided that he no longer liked peanut butter and jelly or jelly for that matter.  Since both my husband and myself don't really eat much jelly either, that leaves one precious little girl.  There is no way she can eat 4 batches of freezer jam, although she's trying.  Anyway I had a flat of fresh picked strawberries so I decided to prepare this syrup...it worked out perfect since we had run out of maple syrup.  Of course, this is from my new favorite cookbook The $5 Dinner Mom Breakfast and Lunch Cookbook by Erin Chase. 

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, or raspberries (I used fresh picked strawberries)
3 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon sugar

Prepare the syrup by placing the berries and honey into a blender or food processor.  Puree, streaming in 2 to 3 tablespoons of water until it reaches the desired consistency. 

Serve drizzled over blueberry breakfast bake or pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment