Monday, July 11, 2011

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

Oh boy this was so good and easy.  It was perfect for my hubby's summer birthday brunch.  I didn't have to heat up the house to bake a cake (which would've been a cake mix by the way) or spend an arm & a leg buying an ice cream cake.  I did have to pick up a few things to make this but I would say this was prepared for less than $7.00, which is a steal for an ice cream cake.  I got this recipe from my dear friend Gloria, hi Gloria!, who brought this to our life group's summer pool party (I brought these amazing mushrooms).  When I sent her out an emergency 911 email for the recipe, she was prompt and got back to me within a short period of time, gotta love good friends who love food just as much as you do! 

12 ice cream sandwiches (I actually used 11 3/4 but I ate the last 1/4)
1 large tub of cool whip
1-2 jars of magic shell ice cream topping
1/2 cup carmel ice cream topping
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (or you could just chop large chips to sprinkle on top)

In a 9 x 13 pan place ice cream sandwiches in a single layer in the pan.  On top of the sandwiches, spread about 1/2 of the cool whip.  Then drizzle 1/4 cup of the carmel topping.  On the carmel topping create a solid layer of magic shell.  I ended up using the whole bottle to make a solid layer, you could probably drizzle about 1/2 to 3/4 of the bottle in that layer.  Place the entire pan in the freezer for 1-2 hours until solid.  Once it's frozen, layer the rest of the cool whip and carmel.  Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, if you're really adventurous you could use M & M's or Oreo's.  Top with drizzled magic shell.  Place in freezer for 1-2 additional hours until set.  Take out of freezer and serve immediately.  It's amazing, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment