Saturday, June 18, 2011

Protein -Packed Cereal Bars

I figured these bars from The $5 Dinner Mom Breakfast and Lunch cookbook by Erin Chase would be a great travel snack. These bars are packed with peanuts and peanut butter, we already know I am not a huge fan of peanut butter from my mixed review of peanut butter cookies.  I decided to try these as part of a care package I was sending with my MIL on a trip.  I also included 6 week muffins and pizza popcorn in the package, I did it because I love her not because I'm a suck up or wanted blog materials OK maybe a little of both are true.  I doubled this batch to send half with MIL and keep half at home for the kids. 

1 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup milk (I used half and half because I had some leftover)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds (I used honey roasted peanuts because I had them on hand)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dried raisins or cranberries (I used cranberries)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly coat an 8x8 inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  In a mixing blow, stir together the peanut butter, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla.  Stir in the oats, nuts, cinnamon, and raisins; the batter will be thick.  Press the batter into the prepared baking dish using the bottom of a measuring cup or the back of a large serving spoon. 

Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.  Let cook on a wire rack before slicing.  Slice into 4 rows on one side, then one slice down the middle on the other side, making 8 bards.

No comments:

Post a Comment