Sunday, June 12, 2011

Fruit and Nut Tossed Salad

This recipe comes from an unknown source.  It was on a photocopied recipe page my friend Joy gave me for The Cookery Chicken Tetrazzini, that came from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.  The salad recipe was on this page but it was not from the Journal Sentinel.  All that I know is I didn't invent the recipe so I can't take credit for it, but I also can't give the appropriate credit to the original author either.  So there it is, once again, another copyright violation.  I brought this salad for a church function, along with this Strawberry Romaine Salad, which seems to be the new hit of all parties.  This recipe calls for a combination of lettuces, however, I ended up using only spinach.  It must have been a hit, there was none left at the end of the function. 

1 cup fresh spinach, torn into bite sized pieces
6 cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
1 cup seedless red or green grapes, halved
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
11 oz can mandarin orange segments, chilled, drained
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 small avocado, peeled, sliced if desired (I out a little lemon on the acocado so it wouldn't brown)

In large bowl, combine spinach, lettuce, grapes, almonds, and orange segments.  In jar with tight-fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt.  Shake well.  Just before serving toss some dressing with salad and garnish with avocado.  Serve remaining dressing with salad.  6 to 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment