Monday, June 27, 2011

Jambalaya in the rice cooker

I really wish I had a big kitchen because I would buy every kitchen gadget under the sun.  Since I don't have a big kitchen, I have to keep any "extra" kitchen supplies above and beyond the typical daily usage in a make shift basement pantry. If I was an insomniac I'd probably be getting weekly delieveries from infomercials, thank God I sleep well.  I am not sure what compelled me to do this but I bought a rice cooker for like $15 from Wal Mart.  Holy cats, where has this been my whole life.  I prefer to make long grain brown rice, which takes a great deal of time and attention just to make sure all the water doesn't boil out.  A rice cooker takes all the guess work out of making rice...perfection.  Now not only can you make plain rice but you can make one dish wonders.  Amazing.  This is the first recipe that I made in the rice cooker, my picky husband, loved this dish.

1 pound of turkey kielbasa
1 10-ounce can chicken breast
1 1/2 cups brown rice
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
2 Tbsp Creole seasoning  (I didn't have any so I made my own creole seasoning)

Cut the kielbasa into half; lengthwise, then into 1/4 half circles.  Add all ingredients to the inner cooking pot and mix well.  Place inner cooking pot in the rice cooker and close the lid.  Press the COOK SWITCH.  The rice cooker will automatically switch to "Keep Warm" mode once the meal is ready...I know amazing.  The orignial recipe calls for 1/2 pound sausage and 1/2 pound shrimp, since Scott doesn't eat shrimp I just increased the kielbasa to 1 pound to make up for the "meat".  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment