Monday, June 27, 2011

Shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches

After having my way with the chicken, I used what was left of the rib meat to prepare these sandwiches (about 2-3 cups).  My original intention was to use a new recipe I found in Cooking Light:  fresh food fast weeknight meals but after actually making the white BBQ sauce, I changed my mind.  It was way to vinegary, even with the sugar.  Once I had tried the sauce, I read the recipe which indicated that this sauce is typically made in Alabama and I don't live there.  If you do and want the recipe, I'm going to share it for you and if you don't keep reading there's another version.

White BBQ Sauce
1 cup low fat mayonnaise
3/4 cup cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Cover and store in refrigerator for up to one week.  Try it if you would like, I didn't even bother putting this on my chicken since I figured the kids would revolt. 

I went with more of the traditional BBQ sauce.  The idea and steps came from here but I tweaked it up a little bit. 

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2-3 cups cooked chicken
8 rolls

In a saucepan, saute the onion, and garlic with cooking spray until tender. Stir in the salsa, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add chicken; stir to coat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve about 1/3 cup chicken mixture on each bun. For the record, this was awesome.  It would've been even more awesome if I had some hamburger pickles to put on it but I didn't, maybe next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment