Sunday, June 12, 2011

fruit dip

This dip is soooo simple. Anyone can make it...hence why I actually had my students at school make this for a retirement party I was planning on attending during the last week of school.  What child labor laws?  I know...I know but hear me out.  I work at a high school with students who are in a "functional community based program".  This program is for students who have a lower functioning learning disabilities (LD), cognitive disabilities (CD), or an other health impairment (OHI) who need a life skills based program.  Although we do have academic components, we focus on real life things that students will need for survival.  I don't typically have my students make my meals or do personal things for me, however, there is a time and a place for such things when there is a real life opportunity for learning or a hands on experience.  So since this dip was being made for my co-workers who are heading into retirement (some of their former teachers), I felt it would be an appropriate experience for them to prepare the dip and fruit tray.  I don't even feel bad that they had to make it.  You know what it's like working with your little one in the kitchen?  Well imagine this intensified, except instead of the little one being a mini-me in the kitchen, you actually are the mini-me since many students are taller than me!  So without further ado, here is the simple fruit dip...so simple even a teenager could make it.

1 package softened cream cheese
1 jar Marshmallow fluff
Assorted array of fruit

Yep...that's it.  Wash, slice (if necessary), on a side note if you're working with students make sure they don't stab each other, although it sounds silly I am sure it's happened.  Not on my watch but somewhere and someplace I am sure it could happen.  So once the knives are secured (or taken for evidence), arrange fruit on a tray.  If you decide to use apples you can use the technique I talked about in my post about snacks for traveling.  We did not use apples for this particular tray.  Now place cream cheese and fluff in a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, mix the dip.  Once items are combined, place in a pretty bowl or a Tupperware container to serve with the fresh fruit.  Enjoy.  I just hope that the child labor law people don't show up at my door step.

No comments:

Post a Comment