Sunday, June 12, 2011

broccoli salad

Now I am pretty sure I didn't invent this particular salad.  When I google it there are a bazillion different recipes.  It sounds like this is what Rebecca did with her week of broccoli when she needed a salad.  In order to make this I actually combined two different recipes.  I love this salad, the sweet and tangy is oh so yummy.  This is great to bring to a BBQ with friends or serve for a week night meal.  I would have added bacon but I was having a friend over for dinner and she's not a bacon person, otherwise I would add a package of "real bacon bits" or real bacon if you have some on hand.  I prefer the easy clean up of the prepackages, preserved bacon over the fat, splashing bacon frying, that's just me...do whatever floats your boat.  If you're serving this to several people, I would consider doubling or tripling the batch. 

3 cups of fresh, broccoli cut
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 white sugar
1 T cider vinegar
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 can of mandarin oranges, drained.

Cut the broccoli in to small pieces.  Mix the mayo, sugar and cider vinegar.  Stir in the sunflower seeds.  Pour the mixture over the broccoli.  Drain the oranges, add to the broccoli salad.  Chill before serving.  OK, want the truth?  I am not sure if I like the oranges, it gave it a weird texture.  Textures don't typically freak me out.  On the other hand, the non-bacon eater friend, liked the oranges. 

My goal over summer break is to start taking pictures of the food I cook.  I'm sure Scott will think it's weird and giggle, but I think it's fun and exciting.  Plus maybe I can convince him to buy me a new camera.  A girl can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment