Monday, June 27, 2011

Puffed Carmel Corn

When I was young my mom made the best carmel corn ever.  If I tap into my memories, I have one specific memory related to carmel corn, I must have been about 5 or so and I must have been on my mom's last nerve or fighting with my sister  my mom or my sister or someone in my family was driving ME crazy.  At that time I thought it would be a good idea to run away.  I went to my room and stuffed packed a suitcase of my most precious belongings that I would need for my future.  During this time my mom, started to prepare carmel corn.  Since I am bullheaded and stubborn I was wrongly accused of something, I'm sure, I knew the only justice in the matter would be to run away.  Man, I loved that carmel corn and was really going to miss out on never having it again.  I was strong and resisted the temptation.  My mom kissed me good-bye, shoved me out the door, bid me farewell, and wished me good luck.  I was on a mission to run away from the only home I'd ever known to prove a point, I could manage on my own.  Well since, I was only 5, I wasn't allowed to cross the street, so I did what any level headed child would do, I walked around the block.  Then when I had made it all the way back to our apartment I went home.  Who was I kidding this carmel corn was worth sucking up my pride and apologizing to my family.  I don't recall exactly how all the events unfolded, I just know that I ended up being welcomed back home and eating some pretty awesome carmel corn.  The original recipe calls for popcorn, however, when looking through a few blogs like Krista's Kitchen  I saw this caramel puff corn and  Bless Us O Lord to find a similar carmel puff corn.  Both of those ladies inspired me to try my mom's recipe using puff corn instead.  The puffed corn is more expensive than popcorn but there's something to be said about not having to pick seeds out of your teeth that might make the extra cost worth it.  I purchased my puffed corn at the local grocery store for $1.88 per bag. It looks like this...


8 cups puffed corn
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp vanilla

Put puffed corn in baking pan.  Place brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt in saucepan.  Cook until mixture comes to a boil and cook for  minutes.  Turn off and stir in vanilla and baking soda.  Pour over puffed corn and mix up.  Put in 300 degree oven for 15 minutes.  Stir and cook for 5-10 more minutes longer.  Yummy childhood memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment