Monday, June 27, 2011

Italian Sausages

When my darling husband and I first started dating, I really wanted to win him over with my cooking but I didn't really know how to cook.  I mean I was in college, making Ramen and ordering pizza was my specialt6y.  I asked him what was his all time favorite meal and he replied "Italian Sausages".  I was stumped and had no idea, apparently, I lived a deprived life and no body ever made them for me.  So since we were still new in our relationship, I made him ask his mom how to prepare them...there is no way I was going to call his mom I barely new her, which is funny since now I wouldn't think twice about it...however, it is 13 years later.  Something went way wrong when I first prepared these somehow I burned them in the crockpot.  I did learn the secret was adding water, something Scott left out when giving me the original recipe.  This is one of his top requests but even though I have tried a few lighter versions by using Turkey Italian sausages or Light Italian sausages, I am pretty sure he like the real deal best. 

1 package Italian sausages (usually the package is 5)
1 jar any kind of spaghetti sauce
Enough water to fill the jar after it's been emptied
1 sliced green pepper
5 Hoagie rolls or brat buns
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

Place Italian sausages in the bottom of the crockpot with the green pepper slices.  Pour the sauce over the sausages and peppers.  Fill the jar with water and pour.  Gently stir to combine the sauce and water.  Cook in crockpot 8-10 hours on low.  I have never made these on high, but I would think you could.  When sausages are done place on roll and top with cheese. 

Serve the leftovers on top of pasta with the sauce or make pepperoni calzones using diced Italian sausages instead of pepperoni.  Great way to use up leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment