Saturday, May 14, 2011

Strawberry Romaine Salad

This recipe comes from my friend Alison.  When I posted about my Strawberry Spinach Salad, Alison shared a tried and true recipe with strawberries.  I decided to give this puppy a try for our big spaghetti dinner bash.  Now, I must admit I was frightened when I saw the ingredients combo...I mean weird.  So this morning on my big grocery shopping event I knew most of the items would be simple to find, except peanut brittle, that was a task.  Let me just spare you the details and say it was an adventure.  After going to two stores and asking for the advice of several seasoned grocery store patrons, I decided that I would have to find an alternative. I went with Boston Baked Beans.  They are a peanut with a hard candy shell and needed to be smashed to smithereens (great stress reliever).  Yowzaa's it was a hit.  If you've ever been to a church function that involves "free" food you know what I'm talking about, we have great manners at our church most of the time, just not when food is involved.  At one point I thought maybe people were going to fork it out for the last bites of this salad.  OK so I'm just kidding about the people forking each other for this salad, at least I didn't seen any.  I will tell you what, I would consider forking someone for the last bite of this tasty treat.  After being ask for the recipe the millionth time, I actually thought of trying to sell it or something.  Come on I was planning on donating to our Africa Oasis Project.  However, since I'm such an awesome Christian woman, I thought I'd give it out for free on my blog.  So here it is...another amazing salad.

Strawberry Romaine Salad

Dressing
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup half and half
2 T. red wine vinegar
1 ½ T. sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
½ tsp poppy seeds
Mix all ingredients in small bowl and set aside.

Salad
1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
1 can fried onion rings
1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
1 box peanut brittle (or about 1 cup Boston Baked Beans smashed)

Toss lettuce and strawberries in large bowl. Just before serving, add crumbled onion rings and crumbled peanut brittle to the salad and toss with dressing.
(Recipe from Ann Lidell DeHaven)

No comments:

Post a Comment