Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Strawberry Spinach Salad

I was introduced to this lovely salad about 9 years ago. My big sister served this at my wedding shower brunch.  It was a hit then and still is now...do you think that after 9 years this could be considered a "timeless" dish?  This salad has made it's appearance at church events, summer parties, family gathers, casual meals with friends, holidays, and even one funeral.  If you want a "go to" salad that is super versatile and loved by many (not all since my picky husband won't even taste it) put this on your must try list for the summer; it's perfect for that backyard BBQ, lovely dinner, or a baby shower. 

Strawberry Spinach Salad

2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar (I usually use cider vinegar)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon minced onion
1 package fresh spinach-rinsed, dried, and torn into bite size pieces
1 quart strawberries sliced
1/4 cup slivered almonds
Crumbled Feta Cheese (optional)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika,Worcestershire sauce and onion.  Cover and chill for at least one hour.  In a large bowl, combine spinach, strawberries, and almonds.  Pour dressing over salad and toss.  Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh I have to share the strawberry salad recipe I use and LOVE - try this one too!
    Strawberry Romaine Salad

    Dressing
    ½ cup mayonnaise
    ¼ cup half and half
    2 T. red wine vinegar
    1 ½ T. sour cream
    1/3 cup sugar
    ½ tsp poppy seeds
    Mix all ingredients in small bowl and set aside.

    Salad
    1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
    1 can fried onion rings
    1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
    1 box peanut brittle

    Toss lettuce and strawberries in large bowl. Just before serving, add crumbled onion rings and crumbled peanut brittle to the salad and toss with dressing.
    (Recipe from Ann Lidell DeHaven)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Alison...I have a church dinner on Saturday and I signed up for salad...I'm going to give yours a try. I hope I can find peanut brittle at this time of year, I always associate it with Christmas. I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison-the salad was a huge hit. As I feared, I was not able to find peanut brittle. I ended up using "Boston beans" they're peanuts with a candy coating. I smashed them up...I actually think it was so YUMMY, I'm going to have to make it a post all by itself...plus it will help some of my chruch friends find it easier. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete