Sunday, May 15, 2011

Baked Crab and Brocoli

This recipe is fantastic for me, no one else would eat it because they're all picky and have learned from their dad not to try new foods.  The recipe comes from a LA Weight loss cookbook, my friend Kelli shared the recipe and I don't have the exact title of the cookbook...so copyright police, I am very sorry, if I risk getting put in jail I'll post give the proper credit but until I hear from them I'm going to leave the information very generic.  The recipe is for a single serving but I quadrupled it to serve 4 so I could have leftovers or invite a friend over to share it with me since no one else would touch it. 

1 cup broccoli florets (you can use fresh or frozen)
6 oz fresh crab (I used imitation because we don't make that kind of money around here)
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 cup skim milk
1T flour (whole wheat flour tastes really gross in this recipe-use white)
freshly ground pepper
1 oz reduced fat-sharp cheddar cheese (or whatever isn't moldy in the fridge)
3 slices Melba toasts, finely crushed

1.  Steam the broccoli until crisp, drain.
2.  Arrange broccoli and crab meat in a casserole dish, coated with nonfat cooking spray.  Set aside.
3.  Spray skillet with non-fat cooking spray.  Saute mushrooms and garlic until tender.  Sprinkle vegetables with flour and pepper.  Stir in milk.
4.  Cook sauce, stirring until thickened.  Add cheddar cheese, still until melted.
5.  Spoon sauce on the top of broccoli and crab meat.  Cover with foil.
6.  Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.  Sprinkle with Melba toasts crumbs; return to oven and bake until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. imitation crab...like a knife through this Baltimore girl's heart (LOL)NOTHING beats the real thing. Unfortunately you can't get decent crab here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Becca, it would be amazing with real crab. Oh how I love it. I am sure I would love the real stuff from baltimore even better. If you do actually try this with real crab let me know how it tastes, it migh be worth it.

    ReplyDelete