Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mixed Berry Trifle

So once again I have a recipe that causes me to have "flashbacks".  My Aunt Myra has a special trifle recipe that she gives as bridal shower gifts.  I guess I missed it at years and years of family gathers with my mom's side of the family.  My sister and I both got married in 2002, she was married in June and I got married in August.  So anyway, the trifle came up when my sister got a trifle dish for her wedding shower from Myra along with the amazing "Williamsburg Trifle" recipe.  Little did I know that I would be receiving the same item a few months later at my bridal shower.  Once I started making trifles, I was hooked.  You see, I love cooking meals and making appetizers but desserts have never been my thing.  My idea of a gourmet dessert comes from the help of Betty Crocker or Pillsbury or someone who makes a whole lot more money than me.  This recipe is perfect for me, it's very basic.  I've made gingerbread trifle, a root beer cake trifle, chocolate trifle, and the "Williamsburg Trifle" aka strawberry trifle.  I have found my trifle recipes in a variety of locations but for this mixed berry trifle I really used a modified version of the strawberry trifle recipe.  Seriously, because the "olden days" version calls for cans of pudding..where exactly do you find cans of pudding?  And "Jiffy" cake mix, although they still make this it must have been the only choice for cake mix back then...LOL.

1 package yellow cake mix (with all the ingredients needed to make)
2 packages frozen mixed berries (I actually only used one and it needed more-so use 2)
1 large package of vanilla pudding (with the milk needed to make it)
1 container cool whip
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup slivered almonds
5 whole strawberries (or any kind of fresh berries)

Bake cake mix as directed on package in round cake pans. Cool.  While cake is cooling, place frozen berries in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar, allow to thaw.  Then cut cake in half crosswise.  Place in bottom half of the deep bowl (trifle dish).  Pour half the berry mixture over the cake, spread half the pudding over the strawberries, and then spread half of the cool whip.  REPEAT.  Cover.  Chill at least 8 hours.  Sprinkle with whole strawberries or fresh berries.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment